Monday, June 2, 2008

What scores get what grades

Q:  I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS THE SCORE THAT I NEED TO GET TO GET AN A IN THE CLASS. I HAVE DONE ALL THE LABS SO FAR. IN THE MIDTERM I GOT 34/50 . IN THE SECOND MIDTERM I GOT 40/50.

A: I can't tell you exactly what it will take to get an A, but based on the distribution shown in the syllabus (mean for that year was 75%), your grades on midterm 1 and 2 would be approx. B- and A (I added 5% to your scores because our average was 5% lower, 70%). I would say that you would need to score over 80% on the final to get an A in the class - this assumes the class average for the final exam is 70%. If the class average is higher, you'll need a higher score of course. Also it's assumes that you got close to 100% on all of your labs (except for the one which will be dropped).

No comments: